I am an environmental scientist at the School of Geography at the University of Leeds. My research falls within agro-ecology and I am interested in agri-environment schemes impact and uptake, insect and bird populations, and soil properties in sustainable management systems. I work with Guy Ziv and Pippa Chapman for the Resilient Dairy Landscape project to assess the changes in soil carbon stocks, hydrology, and biodiversity with hedgerow planting schemes in Cumbria, UK. Other projects I am involved with include BESTMAP and BioDAR.
For my PhD thesis, I worked with Les Firbank investigating the use of cover crops and green compost amendment in arable land and their impact on aboveground and belowground invertebrates and bird populations at the RSPB Hope Farm. I have a BSc in Natural Sciences from the University of Milan and a MRes in Biodiversity & Conservation at the University of Leeds.
- Drivers of songbird territory density in the boundaries of a lowland arable farm
Megan E. Tresise, Sofia Biffi, Rob H. Field, Les G. Firbank
Acta Oecologica, Volume 111, 2021
- Responses of benthic invertebrates to repeated hydropeaking in semi‐natural flume simulations
MC Bruno, MJ Cashman, B Maiolini, S Biffi, G Zolezzi
Ecohydrology 9 (1), 68-82, 2016
- Epigeal fauna of urban food production sites show no obvious relationships with soil
characteristics or site area
S Biffi, CM De Souza, LG Firbank Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 286, 106677, 2019
- Effects of repeated hydropeaking waves on benthic invertebrates: a flume study
MC Bruno, S Biffi, MJ Cashman, B Maiolini
10th International Symposium on Ecohydraulics, 2014
- Is sustainable soil management good for farmland birds?
University of Leeds, 2020
- Biodiversity Patterns in Agricultural Systems
L Firbank, S Biffi
Oxford Bibliographies, 2017
- Drift induced by repeated hydropeaking waves in controlled conditions
B Maiolini, MC Bruno, S Biffi, MJ Cashman
EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, 6723, 2014